- According to www.medicinenet.com, Stress is a physical, mental, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension. Stress can be external (from the environment, psychological, or social situations) or internal (illness, or from a medical procedure).
I choose to categorize the types of stress to be physical, mental and emotional in the course of this article.
Let’s say you had a short night and had to go for an impromptu meeting immediately after work. On your way back, you got stuck in traffic. At this point you’re exhausted and your body aches, particularly, your shoulders. You can’t exactly lay your hands on the ache but it’s just there. You also catch yourself being “tired” even though you still have a bit of strength in you. All you want to do is just eat, rest and sleep.
In this case, the stress manifested in the physical form.
You have been working on this project for weeks now. You literally put in your “all” . You may get to a point where you just have a mental breakdown. Your brain begins to forcefully take the break you weren’t giving it. Also, if you’re a student you’d agree with me that there are times when no matter how much you keep reading that line in the note, it wouldn’t stick. But the moment you take a break and return, it becomes very easy to assimilate.
I tried finding the best analogy to suit this but the one that kept bugging my mind was the case of “presumed green light.” One moment he’s showing you green light the next he acts like y’all are just friends. You keep wondering, does he like me like me or does he just like me? Another scenario could be the case of loosing a loved one and having to relay the information over and over again when the police comes for investigation. Having to go through a hurricane of negative emotions build up emotional stress.
SYMPTOMS OF STRESS.
Physical symptoms of stress
• Body aches
•Overeating aka stress eating
• Lack of appetite etc.
Emotional symptoms of stress
•Low sex drive
• Mood swings
• Addiction to alcohol, sex or smoking
• Memory and concentration problems etc.
Relaxation and adequate self care helps purge off stress.
– Stress could trigger a whole lot of sicknesses that you don’t want to have to deal with trust me.
– So regardless of how tight your schedule is, always make out time to relax.
So now you want to begin to actually relax with no idea how to? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.
– Eat good food. An evening at your favorite restaurant will definitely help in relaxing. Here you don’t have to worry about cooking or doing the dishes afterwards.
– Take a long shower. Or a long soak in the bathtub. Get naked and hop into your bathroom. Make a conscious effort to drop all worries or thoughts before you step in. If you can, have your favorite album playing in the background and slowly hum and dance to the song.
– Call your closest pals for a hangout. Could be at the beach or just in your sitting room. Eat, drink, make jokes, watch movies and don’t forget to play board games. This act does a great deal in “de-stressing.”
– Signup in a yoga class. I’ve read a lot about Yoga and it’s health benefits. I’ve also made a conscious effort to begin yoga next year, God willing. So looking at an elite way of relaxing? Yoga is for you.
– Join a dance school. Sometimes the relaxation we want is to sweat it out, stretch out those muscles and dance your hearts out (well, not literally). So yea, get out, sign up at a dance school and make it a date.
– If you can afford it, travel. I’ve never travelled before, so I can’t give you a personal view on this but like I said before, I’ve read a lot about traveling. There’s something about not having to bother about work or home stress and just go to a new place, eat new food, meet new people etc. It not only helps you relax but it also helps you recharge (don’t act like you didn’t see the rhyme I just did there).
– Give more time to engaging in your hobbies eg if you love to write,write more, cycle more, garden more, etc
– Get a massage. If you can afford it and don’t mind having someone rub you all over. Medical aesthetics practitioners have a way of using their arms to soothe the stress that may have built up in your body.
– Go swimming. Ensure to have people around you when doing this. We don’t want you relaxing your way to death please.
– Pray. There’s a feeling that comes with praying after having a long day. It just gives you a reassurance that you’re not alone in this world and there’s someone out there looking out for you.
These are the few things I know that works effectively in helping one relax amidst stress. They have helped me and I hope they help you too.
Remember to always take care of yourself.
Lastly, if you haven’t subscribed to my blog yet please do so now to get the latest on health and wellness tips, motivational post, news and entertainment gist.
Till tomorrow guys ❤️❤️